According to the text, heterosexual norms represent the guidelines for determining sexual deviance. In two different cases Joran van der Sloot’s heterosexual deviance has left him as a criminal suspect in one case involving Natalee Holloway, and as a convicted murder in another case involving another woman, Stephany Flores. In this case study, you will explore heterosexual deviance as committed by Joran van der Sloot.
Read the article titled “Joran van der Sloot” located at http://www.biography.com/#!
Write a three to five (3-5) page paper in which you:
- Specify the key turning points when van der Sloot began his descent into deviant behavior. Next, determine whether or not you believe “sexual deviant” is an accurate label for van der Sloot. Support your position.
- Debate whether or not the privilege of van der Sloot’s birth allowed a murderer to walk among everyday citizens. Justify your response.
- Analyze the significance of two (2) characteristics of sexual deviance that are applicable to van der Sloot. Next, based on the characteristics you deemed applicable to van der Sloot, speculate whether or not there was a point that medical intervention could have helped van der Sloot overcome or better control his sexual deviance. Provide a rationale to support your response.
- Suggest two (2) rationales for society’s changing attitudes towards what is deemed acceptable sexual behavior. Next, predict two (2) possible outcomes of the changing attitudes towards sexual behavior and its resulting influence on crime in the United States. Justify your response.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar type Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.